Monday, September 12, 2005

Awake you animals!

Has anybody wondered why our train operators built lifts? It is to make traveling slightly easier and more pleasant for the disabled, old and young. But strangely, I see able bodied people rush to these lifts and worst do not even offer their place in the lift when there are people who most deserve it, waiting to enter but could not, because the lift is full. Filled with these likeminded animals folks.

I constantly wonder what goes on in their heads? I try to comprehend, many a times I look at them in the face. Most have these blank looks, just like when they sit comfortably in the train or bus and a pregnant or old person is standing in front of them. Totally spaced out or choose to ignore. I try to get into their psych and I think their sub conscious mind must be saying, “My comfort is most important, what matters is I beat them to it! Hahahaha.. I manage to catch the lifts while the losers get the stairs or take the escalator. Hahahaha losers!” Or “Ah ya, so many people in the lift, let others offer their spot in the lift la. Quick la.. close the door, hurry, I want to be the first one to make it out of the station! Cannot lose!”

Kiasu is not all bad, but please people, do have a heart. And please be more pro-active, yes it was a long day, but don’t you think that these disadvantaged folk are having it any easier? Or worst? Pregnant and having to go through work stress and stand all day in trains or buses? Or old and fragile while I take the escalators or stairs because I am not fast enough to beat the herd at the lifts… so tired after spending 8 hours behind the fast food counter. Come on!

What’s to lose? You are able, stand a little, walk up a flight of stairs or climb the escalator. Its faster, I guarantee you. You will be able to be the first to leave the station and best of all you will be much fitter. Leave the lifts for the disadvantaged so they do not have to compete with you for the lifts.

Sadly at an MRT I frequent, the operator put up a poster near the lifts, but yet these animals folks choose to ignore. I guess we are still a long way to becoming a gracious society. And sadly village folks are more courteous, helpful and kinder to their fellow man. Has our rapid rise from 3rd world to 1st done this, most likely.

But I think these animals folks can be kind, perhaps somebody needs to question them and awaken their conscious mind, chase away that animalistic subconscious. I think there is hope. But who will awaken them? Another campaign? My mom? I know she wakes them up rudely by flashing her senior citizen pass (hee hee hee), and loudly asks if they would give her a seat. Most embarrassingly do give up their seat even when they are pretending to sleep or read a book. And she does this to animals folks only. Even a senior citizen like her (84) would voluntarily give up her seat for another younger old (72) person so why can’t they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home