Saturday, September 03, 2005

First time daddy

Today was my first time alone with my son. Yes, I told my wife, no problem I will manage. So I drove her to the office and off I went to Carrefour to get some grocceries.

While browsing through the baby foods section my son decided he was hungry and about time to test his father. So he let out a cry which quickly climaxed to a bawl. Off I went in search of a seat or a table, a place to prepare his milk. Finally found a collapsible chair near the checkout counter. Prepared his milk.. after scalding my hand and dropping a few empty bottles from the bottle bag and spilling milk powder all over the floor. Fed him 90ml which he sucked it all in no time and cried for more.. but sorry kiddo, daddy spilled the rest of the milk powder. Yup, thats right you have to learn to share your milk with the floor.. uh.. some times. Ok.. don't tell mummy, ok? Now lets get back to the baby section for some ready made apple juice because everyone at the checkout counter is staring at us .

So now I'm back at the baby food section, scrutinising the labels of each product and wondering why the heck does processed organic carrots have so much sodium and even more sodium if it comes with mixed fruit. Then it hit me, but of course! How else would they be able to leave it on the shelf without refrigerating? Salt is a natural preservative. And yes. The label did declare, all natural all organic. Heh! What they forgot to say was, Die naturally the organic way!

But oh well, bought 6 bottles of processed food with the lowest sodium content. After all these are food for emergencies. Times when my baby sitter simply cannot manage to look after my son and prepare a meal, these instant meals will come in handy. In the end I settled for Apple, Carrot, Sweet Potato, Apple/Prune juice. Carrot and the juice being the only ones with some sodium.


Just did a search and found that carrots do contain sodium, aside from being rich in Vitamin A and Beta Carotein. For more nutrition info on carrots, read this, http://www.uhhealthsmart.com/tools2/vegetable/carrots.lasso

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home